Sunday, March 26, 2023

Tasting-Podere Castorani Cadetto Orange

Name: Podere Castorani Cadetto Orange
Variety: Pecorino
Region: Colline Pescaresi 
Country: Italy
Year: 2021
Price: $15

Winery Review
Pecorino whole white grapes were left to sit with their skins to create an orange hue. the spontaneous fermentation and the time spent on the lees before bottling complete the genesis of the complexity of this wine. Floral and spicy aromas complement this intense wine with delicate tannins. 

Wine Folly
I could not find any information on wine folly on the Pecorino variety, but I did find some on 
https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-352-pecorino 
 

Pecorino is a light-skinned wine grape used in Italy's eastern coastal regions, particularly in Marche and Abruzzo. A classic Pecorino-based wine is dry and mineral, straw-yellow in color and has an elegantly floral bouquet of acacia and jasmine.

In my tasting, I noticed the floral notes, but I am not sure I would describe them as acacia or jasmine. 

My Review
The wine was golden orange in color. It had some mild cloudiness, with a large amount of sediment in the bottom of the glass. On the nose, I got very bold floral notes along with some light fruit. On the palate I found the wine to be very light bodies, with mild acid and tannins, along with some notes of apple or pear. The sediment was very fine, and I noticed some of it in the wine which produced an interesting mouth feel. I drank this wine alone without any other food.

This was the first orange wine that I have tried. Overall I liked it. Being between a white and red, I expected it to be comparable to a Rose, but that was not the case.  It was much closer to a traditional white wine, but with some slight hints of tannic features. Overall I liked it, and I plan on including some more orange wines in my future tastings. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting-Puianello Primabolla

Name:   Cantina   Puianello Primabolla Variety:   Lambrusco Region: Emilia Country:   Italy Year:   2020 Price:   $12 Winery Review A soft, ...