Sunday, February 5, 2023

Tasting-Les Champauvins

 


Name: Grand Veneur Cotes Du Rhone Les Champauvins
Variety: 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre
Region: Cotes Du Rhone
Country: France
Year: 2019
Price: $20


Review from Timeless Wines
Intense, brilliant garnet-red colour. It reveals lovely fruit, loads of body and a heady bouquet of ground peppers, raspberries cherry liqueur, currants, and spice box. Full-bodied and dense, it tastes more like a "baby Châteauneuf" than a Côtes du Rhône.
A complete wine, rich and elegant, thanks to the harmony of all the elements which make it up.
Drink between 1 and 6 years.

"The Grenache dominated (there is 30% Syrah) 2019 Côtes Du Rhône Les Champauvins is perfect for readers looking for a wine that over-delivers and won’t break the bank. A great nose of black cherries, currants, roasted garrigue, licorice, and Provençal spice notes give way to a medium to full-bodied, ripe, balanced, straight up terrific and pleasure bend Côtes du Rhône that will deliver the goods for 4-6 years."
- Jeb Dunnuck (October 2020), 91-93 pts

Wine Folly
Grenache
I got the deep ruby color and and strawberry mentioned in the text. I also noticed some spice or herbs, but not the leather or blood orange.

GSM Blend
I noticed raspberry as well as hints of  spices and floral notes, as described in the text. 

My Review
Medium ruby in color, the light edges indicate some age on the wine. On the nose, I got strong red fruit, especially strawberry. I also got hints of chocolate and spice, as well as some floral notes. On the palate, I found this wine to be complex, making it difficult for me to draw out flavors. It had good body with decent tannins. I also noticed hints of cherry and raspberry, with a slightly bitter finish. 

I enjoyed this wine, but it was complex and I felt that I was not able to enjoy it completely. I may come back to this wine after I gain more experience.

The wine was served alone without food


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting-Puianello Primabolla

Name:   Cantina   Puianello Primabolla Variety:   Lambrusco Region: Emilia Country:   Italy Year:   2020 Price:   $12 Winery Review A soft, ...